The Middle Peninsula Solar Co-op is no longer accepting new sign-ups. More than 80 homeowners signed up for the group. Shockoe Solar, the co-op’s selected installer, is working with homeowners now on installations.
If you live in the Middle Peninsula and are interested in going solar, sign up for the VA SUN newsletter to learn about solar co-ops as they launch in the region.
How does the solar co-op work?
Based on the same principle as buying in bulk, co-op members purchase solar systems together to save money and share knowledge. The group uses a competitive bidding process to select a single company that will install systems on all of the participating homes. Each participant signs his or her own contract with the installer, but everyone gets the bulk discount.
By going solar as a group we can save up to 20% off the cost of a solar system. You’ll also have the support of the group instead of navigating an often-complicated process alone. VA SUN is supporting the group effort. The group will complete the following process to ensure a smooth and organized experience for everyone involved:
Co-op in the news
- “Register to join solar co-op,” Rappahannock Record (January 2017)
- “Solar co-op picks contractor, hosting information session,” The Daily Press (November 2016)
- “Info session on solar panels to be held Nov. 14,” Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal (November 2016)
- “Editorial: Very interesting,” Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal (September 2016)
- “Middle Peninsula residents invited to join solar cooperative,” Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal (August 2016)
- “Solar co-op launches on the Middle Peninsula,” The Daily Press (August 2016)
- “Solar co-op forms on Middle Peninsula,” The Daily Press (July 2016)
- Solar frequently asked questions
- Virginia Solar Renewable Energy Credit (SREC) Info Sheet
- Information about ground-mounted solar panels
- Solar and homeowners association rules in Virginia (guidance from MDV-SEIA)
Still have questions? Email email@example.com and be sure to mention the Middle Peninsula Solar Co-op in the subject line.